Sunday, March 29, 2009

Desormeaux To Ride Entire Churchill Spring Meet

.
Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux said this afternoon that he plans to ride the entire spring meet at Churchill Downs.
Desormeaux, who won last year's Kentucky Derby on Big Brown, has spent the past two fall meets in Louisville, tying for third in the standings with 21 last fall and fourth in 2007 with 20 wins. But after Derby week, he has gone on to New York for the Belmont spring meet and Saratoga.


Now he says he'll ride at Churchill and take the two weeks off before Saratoga begins. Two of his biggest outfits will be Kenny McPeek, for whom he rides Theregoesjojo in Saturday's Florida Derby, and Bill Mott, on whom he won last Saturday's Lane's End on Hold Me Back.


"I'm going to stay all meet," Desormeaux said at Gulfstream. "I might even buy a house this time. Instead of going back to Belmont, I'm going to pull the Pat Day schedule. I enjoy it. I really do. All I do is follow the horses. Wherever Kenny or Billy feel I'm needed, or wherever a power stable needs me, I'm going to go where the fast horses are. That's my job."
.