Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mine That Bird's Jockey Situation Unresolved

.
Mine That Bird's Jockey Situation Unresolved
Mine That Bird

Double Eagle Ranch and Buena Suerte Equine’s Mine That Bird remains without a confirmed rider for the West Virginia Derby (gr. II) on Aug. 1 at Mountaineer.

“I am looking for a rider that will fit my horse best,” trainer Chip Woolley said July 3. Woolley started the search for a rider when he did not receive a commitment from rider Calvin Borel for the race at Mountaineer. Borel rode Mine That Bird to victory in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) and to a third-place finish in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).

Mine That Bird’s schedule after the West Virginia Derby is the Shadwell Travers (gr. I) at Saratoga on Aug. 29 and the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita on Nov. 7, with the possibility of a race between the Travers and Breeders’ Cup.

Mine That Bird galloped twice around the main track Junly 3 before the renovation break with exercise rider Rudy Gallegos up.

“I know we are working Monday (July 6) morning,” Woolley said. “I’m not sure who will work him.”

.